Monday, May 23, 2011

Corporate Responsibility

Have you ever heard the phrase, "it's just business."  Usually it is preceded by an off-handed, "nothing personal."  I believe this is where the corporate world has taken a misstep.  Business is personal.  Everything about it is personal because it is comprised of persons.  If I can justify an unkind act due to my company's need to make money, what else can I justify?  Where does the line get drawn?  Our current and past history is full of examples where the line ended up on the wrong side of morality, and people suffered.  History does not look kindly on the Enrons of our past.

It's easy to talk, or blog about, but not so easy to do.  I find myself challenged on a regular basis with the needs of our company, versus the morally responsible decision.  I've always tried to remind myself of the Proverb that says, "A good name is better than riches," yet I know full well that a good name doesn't pay the bills.

So the conflict continues, and will continue until May 21st, 2011... woops, maybe 2012, or maybe 3012... we don't know.  In the meantime, I am convinced it is the businesses that choose to look good in the history books first, and in their spreadsheets second, that will ultimately stand the test of time.

Oh, and while you are thinking about this, think twice about asking a hauler to throw your furniture away when their are hundreds of non-profits in our area that are desperate for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment